- Travel and serve in Africa
- Fall in love ❤️
- Become a Teacher 👨🏫
- Become an Assistant Principal
- Start my own school (Principal)
- Live in New York
- Live in Atlanta
- INSPIRE youth in underserved communities
- Maintain a healthy gym routine
- Make friends around the world
- Become a Father
- Be PRESENT
- Continuously operate beyond my comfort zone
- Appreciate my family
- Make six figures times ten. Networth of over 10 million. I’ll take more more!
- Stay true to my passion and purpose
- Keep moving
- Turn off the television
- Keep up with my cycling
- Discover relief for my feet
- Be my own boss
- Start my own business
- Write a book
- Become a motivation speaker
- Train teachers
- PHD in something
- Be open to love again
- Not become a statistic within the black gay community
- Leave a legacy behind that rings in the ears of many
- No drinking at home alone
- Read 12 books a year minimum
- Walk, skip, jump to the beat of my own dream and do it unapologetically
- Own a fun car: something with a drop top!
- Moped or motorcycle on the side
- Establish a savings account that affords me financial freedom. 500,000 plus! Times 10!
- But my mother a house of her own
- Create careers for others
- Explore and participate in New and different things
- Attend a motivational conference
- Travel to all seven continents
- Wake up and say THANK YOU
- Just keep swimming
Posts Tagged With: relationships
It’s Day 1 after the physical separation between my partner and I. Last night was tough. I mean I literally felt sick. I helped him move his stuff out and even went as far as bringing him to his new place. I don’t know if that was wise because I broke down in tears as I was about to leave. It’s interesting because the tears weren’t due to the actual separation. They were more about his well being. I just felt bad leaving him there. I mean this guy sacrificed a lot to appease my needs throughout our eight years. I kind of feel responsible for him being all the way out here in the Bay Area. It’s a hard pill to swallow which is why I spit that shit out!
I am NOT responsible for the poor decisions he made. I am not responsible for the infidelity. I am not responsible for why we are separating. Like I said to him, “I never wanted for this to happen.” I was pushed into a corner and forced to evaluate my own well being. I have enough self respect to know what I deserve when it comes to being loved. That pill that I tried to swallow can lay its ass on the ground. Matter of fact, I’ll just go ahead and crush the hell out of it. That grown man made grown decisions. And my story, my happiness, my well being will not rest upon a person who has yet to really discover and love himself. I stand tall, I stand proud, I stand courageous, I stand in my faith knowing…..that if I just keep swimming……Just keep swimming…..Just keep swimming…..Just keep smimming……true peace regarding this matter shall come. In the interim, this is myTRUTHmyCLARITY. And so it is!
Nine months ago on September 1, 2017 at 5:00pm my life changed. It literally folded in half within a split second and ever since that moment it’s never been the same between us. Unconditional love? What does that really mean and have I failed? I mean I literally tried everything in my power to grow, maintain and massage the trust that had been kicked out the damn door (literally). Sigh….. this whole situation has just been one big old TO DO and I’m so tired. I get relationships are work but any element of seamlessness is/was needed/wanted.
Today is the day he moves out. Today is the day I truly begin to heal GIVEN I follow his departure with healthy choices. Today is the day I get back to focusing all of my attention on me. Today is the day I halt all side eyes and just live in peace at home. Today is the day I can walk home and no longer hold my breathe wondering what’s going on… on the other side of the door. Today is the day I start dating myself, loving myself, cooking for myself, being with myself WITHOUT DISTRACTION. Today is not an ending, it’s a new beginning. It doesn’t have to be all sad and gloomy. Matter of fact….IT WON’T. Today is the day for change. Today is the day and I’m unapologetic for asking him to leave. I deserve better and that starts with SELF LOVE. I won’t put him in charge of my happiness. I stand strong like Wonder Woman :0) and will sail confidently into the unknown waters of the world. I surrender….! This is myTRUTHmyCLARITY and so it is.
– He walks into the classroom, shakes my hand, and takes his seat.
– He places his notebook and three sharpened pencils onto his desk.
– He writes his heading along with todays learning objective at the top of a blank page within his notebook.
– He begins the opening activity without being prompted.
– He actively listens and participates throughout the lesson.
– His class notes are legible and he is able to explain and discuss what he is writing down in his notebook.
– He uses a special sign/gesture indicating to the teacher that he needs a five minute break.
– He returns to the classroom (without incident) and quietly begins his independent practice assignment.
– He continues to work quietly and is eager to share his responses with his peers.
– The teacher has him come up to the front of the room to share/celebrate his work with the class.
– He returns to his seat and respectfully asks the teacher to check him off for completing his work.
– The end of the period arrives and he runs up to the teacher eager to receive his color for the day!
– The teachers asks him what he thinks his color should be and why?
– He responds by saying GREEN because I did my best all day!
– He smiles when the teacher agrees and marks the green color onto his behavior sheet.
– The student startles his teacher as he begins jumping up and down.
– He then waves goodbye to his teacher.
– The teacher smiles and then calls the student back into the classroom and says, “Now that I’ve seen you at your best, I expect no less! Continue to raise the bar.”
It is times like these, I KNOW I am doing exactly what I was designed to do. TEACH. This profession isn’t easy by any means. Not only are we expected to TEACH but we must also CREATE an environment that is CONDUCIVE to LEARNING. Furthermore, teachers must find a way to CONNECT with EVERY student in the classroom and FOSTER a HEALTHY relationship. It is no easy task. However, today I CELEBRATE because I have made a breakthrough with my most challenging student. There is a MUTUAL respect that now exists between us both.
What’s my secret? The relationship I was able to establish is the key. And understand that it took time to get the key to open the door. Don’t force it, just look for opportunities to connect with the student outside of your role as an educator. Swallow your pride, check your ego at the door, establish clear boundaries and show him/her that you care. It will all pay off, just give it time.